July 28, 2017
Cooking is something that I will admit, I don't really enjoy. I so wish I loved it, but I just don't. But with that said, even though it's not my favorite thing to do, I LOVE food and I LOVE making healthy, easy dishes that don't take forever ( because who has time for that), that use fresh, plant lovin' ingredients that give me energy, plus fill me up.
I always cringe when I hear someone say "eating healthy and plant friendly is way too hard and expensive" and I am the first one to let them not that isn't the case. Take if from someone who refuses to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. You can eat yummy, healthy dishes that taste like you spend hours making but takes you 30 minutes or less.
And one of my go-to meals to make are Zucchini Boats. I make these gems a few different ways, but my all time favorite has a mexican twist to it. These take 10 minutes to prep, with a cook time of 20 minutes. And if you are craving a hearty, mexican, feel- good meal, ( without the heaviness) then this is the dish for you. And look at that cheese...you would never know that it's all plant based, brand is Follow Your Heart.
4 large zucchini
1 15 ounce can of organic black beans, drained/rinsed
1 15 ounce can of corn
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup of salsa
mozzarella cheese ( my choice is Follow My Heart)
1 cup of brown rice ( I used trader joes frozen organic brown rice- cooks in 10 minutes)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400'
2. Slice the zucchini in half, and using a metal spoon scoop out the meat of the zucchini. Brush a little olive oil on the inside of each zucchini slice and then place skin side down, in a 9x12 casserole dish.
3. Chop the red and green pepper, plus onion and place in pan over medium heat and sauté ( 5 minutes). Then add in the black beans, corn, salsa and brown rice and simmer for another 5 - 8 minutes.
4. Time to fill the boats. Take the black bean mix and place in the zucchini slices and top with cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. When done, let stand for 5 minutes
6. Serve and Enjoy. I served with a side of refried black beans and more rice. Plus used Tofutti Sour Cream to top it off.
Pretty easy, right? These yummy plant based babies are great if you are wanting to try a meatless dish that is jammed packed with flavor. If you make 'em, let me know how they turned out. Tag your pics with @sunlovinroots and #sunlovinroots so I don't miss seeing them.
Sun, Love and Good Vibes,
October 12, 2019
September 07, 2018
August 01, 2018